Help:Languages and Translation Representatives
From Textpattern CMS User Documentation
For each language there would ideally be a representative who serves as a coordinator for their language's translation efforts. There really is no structure for this, but it is the ideal. Below is a record of the installed languages at this point and how to step up as a representative if you have the desire.
MediaWiki supports a great number of languages, but they must be added by administrators initially. We do this on a request basis to avoid unnecessary work. The languages currently added and their coordinator leads in the wiki are:
- Chinese, Simplified (zh-cn): User:Playpiggy (TxP Profile )
- Chinese, Traditional (zh-tw): User:Beata (TxP Profile )
- Czech (cs): currently no rep
- Dutch (nl): currently no rep
- English (en): no rep
- French (fr): currently no rep
- German (de): User:Andreas (TxP Profile )
- Greek (el): user:Marios.buttner
- Hungarian (hu): User:Laze (TxP Profile )
- Italian (it): User:Macubu (TxP Profile )
- Japanese (ja): User:Gogo (TxP Profile)
- Polish (pl): currently no rep
- Russian (ru): User:Inspired (TxP Profile )
- Spanish (es): User:Juanjonavarro (TxP Profile )
- Swedish (sv): currently no rep
- Vietnamese (vi): User:QAD (TxP Profile )
See help:Content Language Options for a list of all languages supported by MediaWiki and which can be requested for inclusion by a TextBook administrator.
Admins, see help:Adding New Translation Languages for what to do.
Be a Representative
To volunteer for such valiant work, one only has to contact an administrator (see help:New Accounts) to indicate their intention and the language they are interested in serving as rep for. There are a few things a potential language rep should consider:
- Reps should be comfortable communicating in English, the default wiki language.
- Reps will be added to the Langleads user group (see rights association in special:ListGroupRights) and be expected to serve as managing editor for the the translation efforts in their language.
- Reps are expected to help encourage the centralization, importation, and development of Txp documentation in TextBook.
- Reps are expected to lend an eye and hand to keeping their respective language translation efforts current to the English pages.
- Reps are expected to help promote TextBook outside of the wiki system (such as in the Textpattern Forum) to recruit other translators to their efforts.
That seems like quite a mouthful, but a language rep is not a huge responsibility, nor is it a cast-in-stone situation. If a current rep would like to pass the role to someone else, or share the role with another person, they should certainly do so. If so, please kindly update the information in the active languages list in the section above so everyone knows who to contact if needed.